Upcoming Elections

Primary elections are taking place during the month of September for the following states:

New Hampshire, Rhode Island and New York

For more information, please visit:  https://www.fvap.gov/guide/upcoming-elections


Upcoming Election Dates for July 30th – August 11th

August 2nd:  Tennessee State Primary

August 4th:  Virgin Islands Territory Primary

August 7th:  Missouri State Primary, Michigan CD 13 Special Primary, Kansas State Primary, Ohio CD 12 Special Primary, Washington State Primary

August 11th:  Hawaii State Primary

For more information, visit the FVAP website.


Separating from Active Duty?

Service members, their eligible family members, and overseas citizens are covered by The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

As you transition back to civilian life, you will no longer be covered by UOCAVA. You and your eligible family members should notify your election office of your change in voter registration status and update your information so that you can begin to vote locally. You may do this in either one or two easy steps.

If you have voted absentee or locally and are staying in the same voting residence after separation:

  1. Notify your election office of your change in status and that you will be voting locally for future elections. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.

If you voted absentee or locally and are moving to a new State or county after separation:

  1. Notify your election office of your change in status and that you will no longer be voting in that jurisdiction. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.
  2. Complete a National Voter Registration Form to register as a civilian.

If you will be moving abroad after separating from the military, you will remain a UOCAVA voter. You should send in a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) with your updated mailing address and new classification selection. The FPCA can be found at FVAP.gov. Your voting residence address in the U.S. will remain the same.

Additional information about registering to vote locally can be found on your State/Territory Election website.

Want to take information with you? Click the following link and print the fact sheet: Separating from Active Duty: Voter Assistance.

Don’t Miss Your Opportunity to Vote!

Don’t miss your opportunity to vote in your state’s primary election as it will determine who is on the November 2018 general election ballot.  To register and request your absentee ballot, visit FVAP.gov to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).

The following states have elections in the next 90 days:
8 – Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia
15 – Idaho, Nebraska, Oregon, Pennsylvania
22 – Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas

June – 30 Day Notice
5 – Alabama, California, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Dakota
12 – Maine, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina, Virginia
19 – Arkansas, District of Columbia
26 – Colorado, Maryland, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah

July – 60 Day Notice
17 – Alabama, North Carolina
24 – Georgia

August – 90 Day Notice
2 – Tennessee
4 – Virgin Islands
7 – Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Washington
11 – Hawaii
14 – Connecticut, Minnesota, Vermont, Wisconsin
21 – Alaska, Wyoming
25 – Guam
28 – Arizona, Florida

FVAP recommends that all military members, eligible family members and U.S. citizens overseas, away from their voting jurisdiction, send in a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) every year to ensure receipt of absentee ballots for all federal elections.  Now is the time to update your mailing address and absentee ballot request information to reflect any changes since the last general election.

To find your state’s election website for specific information on candidates, elections, contact information, and links to your local election offices, visit FVAP’s contact page (fvap.gov/info/contact).

To register and request your ballots, complete the FPCA using the online assistant (fvap.gov/military-voter/registration-ballots), the fillable PDF (fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca.pdf) or pick up a hardcopy version from your Installation Voter Assistance Office located at the Ellsworth AFB Airman and Family Readiness Center.